Sunday, September 18, 2011

Baptism--it's not for the faint of heart

Tina, this blog post is for you.

I don’t know if you’ll read it but I plan on plastering it all over your Facebook page. Have you seen the pictures I posted?

After church today, you seem surprised that all these people had come to see you baptized. Did you also see all the people who stood with you while it was happening? I’ve seen many children being baptized, many babies, and those have all been special moments, but it something dearer and more precious, I think, when an adult makes that baptismal commitment.

Children and especially babies can’t fully understand what they or their parents are getting them into, but you knew exactly what you were doing. It took so much courage. I know you were embarrassed by your crying, but you shouldn’t be. Those tears were baptismal tears and they washed away pain and hurt and despair as much as the water that P. Deb poured over you.

I can’t even begin to tell you the joy you brought to so many people today. Whenever someone is baptized, we get to renew our own baptismal vows and it is a reminder to us and to you that we are all on this journey together.

And now for your not so random Bible quote of the day. 1 Peter 3:15: “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.”

You have a story to tell now, Tina and I can’t wait to hear the whole thing someday.

But more importantly, you have a responsibility to share that story. Hope is catching. Hope spreads like wildfire.

Why did so many people stand with you today? Because they loved you and because they wanted to be in the path of the joy that was pouring from you in waves today.

I apologize if I’ve embarrassed you writing about you on my blog, but your story is just too special not to share.

God bless you Tina. See you on Sunday.