Monday, December 10, 2012

Why am I keeping a sock?


There is an episode of Friends where Chandler, after marrying Monica and moving in with her, discovers a secret locked closet in her apartment.  He and Joey speculate what she might be hiding.  Joey suggests her old boyfriend, Richard.  But when Chandler finally opens the closet, he is shocked at what he finds.

His wife, the clean freak, has a closet stuffed from floor to ceiling with junk.  She is a closet hoarder in the literal sense.

I completely relate to this, not so much in being a clean freak, but in despising clutter.  Clutter makes me anxious.  I hate things lying around, but, like Monica, I also have the hoarder gene and so while you may walk into my condo and think how everything is so neat and tidy, you wouldn’t want to start opening closet doors or old trunks or hope chests or anything with a drawer.

Saturday, I dove into an old trunk looking for the Miami sweatshirt I had worn in college.  It’s a trunk where I keep things that matter to me, but when I got it open, I found more trash than treasure.  There was a pair of faded jeans with a label that said “junior.”  That went in the trash.  There was my old jacket from college.  I checked the pockets first and found about fifty cents.  There was a vest that no one has dared to wear since 1992 and a sweater, stretched out and well worn.

Trash, trash, trash.

And there was a sock.

A random, half of a pair, white sock.

All of this in a trunk where I was keeping things like my old baby blanket and the stuffed elephant I sewed in Home Economics in seventh grade—you know, things that had sentimental value.

All of that … and a sock.

Trash.

Pastor Debbie and I were talking yesterday morning about how Lent and Advent are times of the year when it’s good to clean house in physical, emotional, and spiritual ways.  Advent especially is a time to spend preparing for the coming birth of Jesus.  And as we would for any guest, it’s a time to straighten up, to clean up, to throw away any trash we’ve been hoarding over the past year.

It’s a time to ask ourselves why we hold onto things.  What are the things that really matter in our lives and what things do we need to let go of?  What things do we need to give away?  What things need to go straight to God?

What burdens are we carrying that begin in our heart, but weigh at us physically too, stooping us over, rounding out our shoulders so that we appear so much older than we are?

Christmas is, sometimes inexplicably, the most stressful time of year.  It’s not just the preparations, the gift-finding, the decorating, the ever increasing need for a day off, it’s that all these things weaken us just enough that suddenly we can be bombarded by memories of old, things we’ve locked away in the trunks of our mind, both good and bad.  We become Scrooge, biting the heads off of overworked store clerks, and wrapping presents with bitterness instead of kindness.  We become haunted by our ghosts of Christmas past, present and future.

Think of Scrooge’s house for moment, the cold, the damp darkness, a bed walled off by curtains most likely filled with a lifetime of dust.  Think of his old partner, Marley, weighed down by the chains of his own past.

Christmas is a time to clean house, to open the windows and let the sunlight in, to throw away the clutter and the trash.  In a time in which we celebrate a birth, this should be the time of rebirth for us.  We make New Year’s resolutions, but really we should be making them sooner, in Advent, so that everything is ready and we are able to stand with arms open to welcome the Son of God.

Despite the stress, Christmas is still my most favorite time of the year.  I love my peppermint bark chocolate and Christmas carols.  I love the majesty and tenderness of the Christmas Eve service.  I get teary-eyed just writing about these things, because this is the time for miracles.  Right now—if we’re willing.

This is the time to rejoice.

This is the time to throw open the shutters and announce to the world how blessed we are.

This is the time to let go of the burdens we carry, to unlock the chains of our past and let them fall away.

This is the time—right now—to start anew.